This year I would like to:
- Sing in at least one public setting
- Rediscover my joy in singing, including in doing technical work and singing from my voice rather than “cheating” and putting strain on my voice
- Find a group to sing tango with – or at least arrange to sing to my karoke tracks at a milonga!
- Keep writing poetry, and get at least one poem published – online or offline
- Improve my tango dancing – work on getting rid of bad habits, improve my balance, find the right balance of responsiveness to the lead, and find a way of expressing my response to the music that stays within the framework of the style and the leading of my partners.
- Learn how to shimmy! Something I’ve never been able to do but want to conquer this year – so I’ve bought myself some belly dancing instructional DVDs!
- Find “flow” in my daily work – immersion, creativity and that effortless focus that comes from real motivation
I’m not normally one for new year’s resolutions, but I think it’s good to set out some aspirations. It seems particularly important because I’m not pinning all my creative satisfaction on one goal (becoming a professional singer) but trying to express that creative side and gain satisfaction in pursuing a range of different interests on a non-paid basis.