I had it all planned today. I would finally take to work all those little things that help the office day go more smoothly. So into my cycle panier I packed:
- A mug, green tea, black tea, two herb teas, sugar and a tea strainer
- A coat (to avoid going to external meetings in my yellow cycle jacket)
- Moisturiser and lipsalve to combat the dry air of the office
- A nice scarf and just-about-smart-enough-for-work cardigan
- A packed lunch
- My work shoes plus a spare pair just in case I forgot to bring some in one day.
Feeling proudly organised I cycled off to the office in my leggings and scruffy t-shirt. Only when I arrived did I realise I’d forgotten:
- My mobile phone
- My purse
- My diary
- The clean top I’d been planning to change into after cycling
- My work trousers
So I ended up meeting all sorts of people for the first time while wearing just a black cardigan over my bra (fortunately it was the wrap around kind and so wasn’t too immodest so long as I kept it tied tightly. And a scarf wrapped around my waist over the leggings – which I hoped would look like a skirt over very thick black tights. I think I just about got away with it!
Luckily, because I had my lunch and lots of tea to drink, I didn’t need money during the day. And luckily nobody called my mobile. Still, my pride in my organisation was rather short-lived!
I’m sure there’s a moral in this somewhere…